Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pursuit

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it."
~ Elizabeth Gilbert


Last year I read the book Eat, Pray, Love. In my opinion, the book (and movie) presented a beautiful depiction of one woman's pursuit of happiness. Isn't that what we all want~ to be sincerely happy and emotionally fulfilled?

Lately I've heard many people comment and critique the movie, and regardless of their opinions, I happen to admire Liz's internal struggle. Perhaps, it is because I also battle the same demon.

It's probably no big secret that I'm a pretty independent person. I enjoy being alone and I much prefer to work through my issues on my own. I like that about myself. I like the fact that I can "be alright" without anyone else helping me out. It gives me a sense of calm.

On the other hand, I openly acknowledge the need to lean on others. I'm not too swell at it, though. Actually I earned a failing grade in Share Your Feelings 101. I'm honestly trying to improve, but I think I might need some major accommodations in this department. Thankfully, Chad-o is amazing. He understands me and gently pries things out of me. He allows me to work though things at my own pace. I really appreciate that about him. He's tops.

However, in the book/movie, I was constantly identifying with Liz and her desire for independence, yet her longing to be loved. Quite the harsh battle, if you ask me.

Luckily, I hit it big. Jackpot, actually.
xo

1 comment:

Greta said...

:) Oh Cathy Lynn. I can't imagine holding all those feelings inside. Chad is a patient man. I haven't seen the movie yet but am trying so hard to finish the book.

I miss you. And if I were around you know I'd be asking a million questions wanting all those feelings to come out. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...