Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Winter Spa

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.”
~ Maya Angelou


I've always been a "hand-person". I feel that you can tell a lot about a person by looking at his/her hands. The hands, in my opinion, are an insight into the life, struggles, triumphs, and successes of an individual.

Perfect polish or chewed cuticles? Filed edges or french salon tips?
Chipped cherry-red nail lacquer, or buffed pink shine?

I look at rings on both men and women, and I smile when I see those bands of love. I think back to how my great grandmother never even had an engagement ring or wedding band, yet she enjoyed years of marriage to her very best friend.

I look at callouses and admire the effort and intensity put into hard work. I see scars and age-spots and think of a life well-lived.

I imagine all the wonderful things those hands have done. The tears they've wiped away, the high-fives they've given, the children they've comforted, the love ones they've carried.

But, on another, perhaps more uplifting note, I'm also obsessed with soft hands. I try so hard to keep mine silky and supple through the harsh Pennsylvania winters.

I spent the day wrapping presents and knitting, so I figured I'd take a small break and treat myself to my favorite, all-natural sugar scrub. I hope you try it, too. I promise that you will fall in love- with the sugar scrub, that is.

In a small bowl combine:


3 tablespoons brown sugar


2 tablespoons olive oil


1 tablespoon honey


Rub all over your hands, rinse with warm water, and follow up with vanilla lotion or coconut oil.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Greta said...

For once I have all those ingredients. I shall try it out! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...