Thursday, January 13, 2011

Stopping by the woods...

"Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow."
~ Robert Frost


As I stifled a yawn, pulled my robe closer, and reached for my favorite extra-large coffee mug, I peered through the kitchen window only to have my eyes fall upon this delightful sight. I simply love when the snow piles high outside the window ledge. It reaffirms my hunch about waking early.



Something about a fluffy, white snowfall calms me. Combine the calmness with a slight case of cabin fever and I had the perfect recipe for a peaceful little outing. I put on some extra warm clothes, filled my thermos with steaming hot coffee, grabbed my camera, and set off on a scenic winter field-trip.


I thoroughly enjoyed the silence. Other than the swooping of snowflakes and gusts of wind, I proved the only interruption to nature's quiet party.

I gazed around, taking in the wonder and letting my imagination and thoughts perform a recital through my overactive mind. How is it possible that these brittle twigs and pods continue to stand steadfast against blustery winds, harsh cold, and feet of snow and ice?

Mother Nature, obviously. She's one amazing woman.

Looking around and watching for tiny details caused me to question the 'white-ness' of snow. In some areas it gleamed a bright white, almost glowing with glitter and shine. In other places, it appeared heather-gray, the color of a old, worn, thread-bare sweatshirt. Yet, other views showcased a spectacular, cold sapphire cast.

I've taken this same trip before. Actually, I take it quite often. I go here to think, to be quiet, to let my mind wonder. But no matter how often I visit, I'm overcome with amazement. This very same place totally transforms in accordance with the requests of Mother Nature.

Stunning. Magnificent.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Great photos. I like when I go out late at night or early in the morning to get a head start on shoveling. The quiet is so.....utterly quiet. And the street lights shine on the snow. It glitters and shines so beautifully. The sun is creeping up and making the snow sparkle. I almost don't even hate the shoveling part.

Did you get any pictures of the fire and ice festival. I have to post mine that I took with my 8 pixel camera!! HAHAHA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...