Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yippie Skippie!

"Really all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence. Of course, superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage." (too, funny!)
~ Elizabeth Zimmerman


The madness began on Sunday morning.

I was laying in bed, wide awake, and it was way too early. As I tossed and turned, thinking of all the items taking up space on my 'to-do' list, I started to think about knitting.....

About seven years ago I learned to knit. In typical CK fashion, I dove head first into the craft, soaking up all I could and dreaming big. My projects were limited to a scarf and a rather complex felted wool purse. I wonder where that bag ever ended up?

Being that it was still dark out, I lazily made my way to the downstairs couch. I tried to push the knitting thoughts from my mind, but the persistent little buggers continued to tempt my creative thirst. I was unable to resist...

The hunt began. I knew my needles and yarn stash were lurking in a closet, it was just a matter of where at in the closet (organizing really needs added to my priority list). I eagerly dug up the necessary supplies: size 11 knitting needles and a pre-rolled ball of ultra fuzzy yarn, and made my way back to the couch.

I guess knitting is like riding a bike; I was able to re-master the knit and purl stitch after just a couple of attempts. Yay me!

As I got lost in my newly discovered art, I was listening to "Meet the Press', where David Gregory was discussing the numerous and severe qualms of the US economy.

"How perfect?" I thought....

"What a wonderfully cheap, entertaining, yet fiscally responsible hobby to take up at such a tumultuous time in our world."

Well, I'm officially hooked. I spent all of Sunday wielding my needles while making a warm, ultra yummy scarf.

I'm dying to find someone to knit with. If you knit, or you'd like to learn, let me know. We can make some tea, coffee, sweet treats and set up shop.



On another note, I went shopping with my momma yesterday and found the inspiration piece for my new office decor. I'm proud to report that I was able to find the majority of my supplies at a fun little shop and came in way under budget. All I need is that dress form and the daybed. I'm keeping the the goods under wraps until the room is totally done. Stay tuned for the unveiling...

So, it appears that I'm keeping true to my word for 2009- create. ..good word, I'm glad I chose it...

Dear Jack Frost,
I'd be really appreciative of a snow day tomorrow. I have quite a bit of knitting that I'd love to get lost in. Please let it snow and rain and freeze! I'll make you a scarf and some mittens to keep you warm.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Cathy,

You are so fun and funny. The wind is howling here in Berlin. I can't imagine that we will have school tomorrow. I like your scarf. My mom used to knit. I am wearing a vest she made me in my 5th grade school photo. I loved that sweater vest and still love the color purple.

I have some good things to cook on my list tomorrow. I'll bring some in Thursday.

I got Kate a knitting kit one year for Christmas. She didn't really use it. Her hands wouldn't so what she wanted. I may be persuaded to use it for myself.....

Greta said...

Meet here at 8am if not school and I'd love for you to teach me to knit while we have coffee and chat time. :( PA is too far away. :(

Unknown said...

I know where the black wool bag ended up:) I have been using it for Bible study and for thinking of you as I am so thankful for the blessings that you have brought to my life. xoxox, Jossie:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...