Monday, July 13, 2009

Treasures

"The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination."
~Elizabeth Hardwick

I've always been one to bury my nose in the pages of a book. I enjoy everything about books; the way they feel, the smell of their pages, and the gentle sound of cracking glue when they're opened a bit too wide.

Books- my safe haven, my release, my friends.

We've all heard the old saying, "Never judge a book by it's cover." Well, let me tell you, I suffered head-over-heels infatuation with this book the moment my eyes first spotted it. And those three little words, eat-pray-love, instantly appealed to my psyche. Yep, I wanted to read it, had to have it, and hunted it down like a mad woman.

If you've ever tried to shop for a novel in the booming metropolis of Somerset, Pa., you know it's similar to locating a palm tree in a cornfield. Yep, not happening.

You see, I refuse to purchase literature at Wal-Mart. I have my reasons and won't bore you with the details. Unfortunately, Sam Walton's retail empire serves as the only place that's open regular hours and consistently has the goods and items i want/need. Ugh...Wal-Mart and books. In my opinion, they mix about as well as oil and water.

Anyway, the stars must have been in perfect alignment, because, you see dear friends, the only bookstore in this tiny, quaint town had a copy.

One copy. Lucky me.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I heard this was a good book. My mom is on the 3rd Mitford book. She is crazy about them. Thanks for sharing.

Maria said...

Oh, I was reading an article about Target. They have this "bookreaders" club. They choose books of little known authors and "republish" them with letters from the author and put there little book symbol on it. One book had to go into a second publication it became so popular.

I always like Target better than Walmart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...