Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Craving

"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all."
~ Stanley Horowitz


It started yesterday.

I would have done about anything for a piping hot crock of chili and a piece of warm, sweet cornbread-- the kind where the butter instantly melts, creating the perfect balance of sweet and salty.

The craving gripped me, and so far, it hasn't let go. Along with that crock of chili, I'm also requesting weekends full of festivals, well worn jeans, and down vests. Add to that a palate of warm colors, some crackling fires, apple cider and toasty socks, and I'll be a very delighted girl. Oh, and how about a pathway of crunchy, colorful leaves? I simply love that sound...walking on crispy leaves. Ohh, just the thought makes me giddy.

If you haven't caught on, I crave fall like some people crave chocolate or ice cream or caffeine. Hands down, it's my favorite season, and I find myself looking forward to it with an intense sense of childish glee.

I emerged from the shower and settled on the couch at exactly 8:04 pm. This small instance alone hints to me that fall is near. It was then that I turned to look out the window and spotted the beautiful sunset. Pretty, isn't it?

My photographer instinct kicked in and I knew I had to capture it. It called to me from the other side of the glass, and it was then I realized that these types of evenings are the ones I want to remember forever; cool with an ever so slight breeze and the gentle flicker of lightening bugs. Fire-flies or lightening bugs? What do you call them?

As I wondered the street and lawn, snapping photos like a well-paid member of the paparazzi, I couldn't help but to lose myself in the conversation of nature. Off in the distance, the sounds of chirping crickets, croaking frogs, and the forlorn hoot of a lonely owl echoed calmly. I'd love to know what their calls mean. Are they communicating about their days or are they simply singing themselves to sleep?

Yes, the craving has settled in, and I'm here to tell you that it's pretty intense. Let me know if you'll be joining me for some warm soups, homemade bread and apple cider. We can sit by a cozy fire, consume hearty comfort foods, converse and enjoy the most wonderful time of the year.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Your photo is beautiful. It Almost makes me look forward to Autumn, I don't know why I'm dreading this fall more than others.

I don't know if its the football or their "junior high" age, but I find myself getting a little weepy.

Thanks for the uplifting thoughts.

Kim said...

Fall has always been my favorite time of year. Remember the years at the store and all those wonderful autumn decorations?!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...