Saturday, March 17, 2012

Setting the Stage for Spring

"Blossom by blossom the spring begins."
~Algernon Charles Swinburne


I first spotted this idea in a crafting magazine.  It was cute enough, but the suggested iridescent Easter grass and mega-gigantic pastel bow proved just a little too "Easter-y" for me.  However, the more I studied the idea, the more I found myself liking it.  

 I had to be careful, though.  Many moons ago, when I first became a teacher, I promised myself that I wouldn't, under any circumstances, submit to the typical overly-festive teacher stereotype.  Never would I show up on the first day of school sporting a wooden school bus necklace.  I swore that I'd never wear earrings that hinted at the upcoming holiday or season.  

And then there was this wreath...the wreath just seemed to push the ticky-tacky, festive limit.  


 Gulp. I couldn't help myself.  I had to make it.  Really.  I swear.  

But the good thing is this: where there's a will, there's a way.  

Thankfully, I visualized the original wreath with some slight major changes.  Goodbye bright, primary Easter eggs~ Hello pastel hues.  Adios clingy, shiny Easter grass~ Hola natural-looking Spanish moss.  See-ya later enormous puffy pastel bow with ten zillion loops and puffs~ hi-ya simple burlap knot.


Overall this was insanely simple.  Plus- huge perk- I managed to use the glue-gun without acquiring a medley of third degree burns.  Success on so many levels, right?  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...