Monday, October 27, 2008

Sweet Treats


I don't think I'll ever grow up. Just like a little kid, I made a deal with myself: if I was good at the doctor, I would get a treat. If you know me well, you know I'll do about anything for a morsel of delightful decadence.

Luckily the doctor I was visiting happened to be located in the booming metropolis of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. I couldn't have been more pleased, as this afforded me the rare opportunity to partake in many of my favorite hobbies: shopping, trying on shoes, enjoying a long drive, and people watching at Starbucks.

Walking in to the yuppie-ish style coffee house instantly calmed me and was the perfect reward for my stellar behavior at the doc. I must say, coffee serves as a much bigger reward than the smiley stickers and cheap-o treasure chest treats of my youth. Perhaps being an adult has its "perks" after all.

Other than the warm aromas wafting through the air, a beautiful chalk-drawn sign toyed with my eyes. Hooray!-The pumpkin spice latte has made its annual appearance. I'm already looking forward to my all-time favorite...a gingerbread latte, but until then, the pumpkin spice will surely warm me up and pacify my coffee craving.

While placing my order, my eyes wondered to the pastry case, full of enormous, calorie packed, sugar-glazed goodies. Unable to avoid the yumminess tempting me from behind perfectly sparkling glass, I gave into my sweet tooth and ordered a dreamy vanilla bean scone. Just for the record, it was so heavenly that it should probably deemed illegal.

During my shopping adventure, I purchased my first official Christmas present of the holiday season. I adore present giving, but only when I know the person on the receiving end is appreciative. I have a feeling that this one will be a hit.

Allow me to leave you with the amazing quote that graced my Starbucks cup:

"Because true conservatives are pessimists, they are happier than liberals, for three reasons. First, pessimists are rarely surprised. Second, when they are wrong they are delighted to be so. Third, pessimists do not put their faith in princes – in government. They understand that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. Happiness is an activity; it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness."
~ George F. Will
Pulitzer Prize–winning author and columnist

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...