Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Growing

"Climb then, into this paradise...this pretty world of peace."
~Rose Macaulay

Off in the distance the sound of rumbling thunder rolls through the sky. Here, a scaredy puppy hides under a bed. But, we are peaceful, enjoying our own little paradise, even if our paradise consists of an herb garden, some new plants and a yummo-licious little snack.

Moments ago, the first droplets appeared, jumping and hopping like little grasshoppers upon the parched, dusty ground. Ahh yes, a summer storm. The timing is perfect, as yesterday these little lettuce babies received their new home.

Lately, the yard around 403 has been buzzing with activity. Yes, the bees (who were swarming our home by the thousands) are gone, but have swiftly been replaced by summer chores, cleaning, planting and harvesting.

I'm delighted that flip-flop wearing finally commenced and the the pressures of lesson planning and grading have gently subsided. The sweet, long days of summer have finally graced me with their presence, and I'm responding by taking full advantage of time to create, read, garden and learn.


If you've been following my story, you are aware that I'm growing quite fond of my herbs. Actually, I'm rather infatuated. And, it appears as though the dear little things love me back. The basil has been so kind as to provide me with the necessary ingredient for my new favorite summer snack. You've really got to try these.

Simply cut a fresh tomato into slices and drizzle with a bit of light balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Then, top with a sprinkle of mozzarella and romano cheese.

Finish by adding some fresh basil and a sprig of parsley.

So good. So, so, so good. So healthy. So wonderfully summer.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I love eating tomatoes that way. Your herbs look so healthy. I love fresh mozzerella on my tomatoes too, even better than shredded.

I usually hate mayo but I found this recipe that called for lemon mayo. add lemon zest to the mayo, toast the bread and sliced tomatoes....best summer sandwich ever!

Next you'll be making fresh pesto with Angel hair pasta...is there Italian blood in you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...