Monday, June 21, 2010

Situation Resolved

"In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row."
~John McCrae

I swear that I'm not starting an opium trade, or harvesting seeds, or becoming a drug addict. Actually, I'm quite the anti-drug person; however I'm madly in love with poppies. I really dislike myself for it, because, you see, I know they have a shady symbolism. But, ya know what? I don't really care. I like 'em and think they're super pretty. Plus, I'm totally loving the bright citrus colors.

Interestingly, every morning when I would eagerly check on my young poppy plants and their bursting buds, I would find them missing. I had an official mystery to solve. Oh goodie- I've always wanted to be Nancy Drew.

Perhaps it was the neighborhood druggie. Yes. That would make sense. It just figures that my innocent love of a flower would fuel a teenager's illegal activities. Then again, I've noticed some over-active squirrels. Perhaps the little critters are enjoying my poppies a bit too much. Oh, but I can't dismiss the family of rabbits who reside in a hole under the lush ground cover. They have been quite the hoppy little cotton tails as of late. Sigh.

Then, just the other day, my mama gave me some liquid fence. To say that it's rancid and foul smelling would be a bit of an understatement. It's totally gross. I find it a bit much, but whatever it's made of definitely seems to keep the sneaky, poppy snatching monsters at bay.

1 comment:

Maria said...

So,the squirrels in Somerset need Twin Lakes??? Too funny.

I LOVE NANCY DREW!! You are one clever girl.

Can I be Beth to your Nancy?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...