Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Little Tree Grows On

"We must not allow the clock and the calendar to blind us to the fact that each moment of life is a miracle and mystery."
~H.G. Wells

You've met this little guy before. Today, however, I stopped and visited with my little sapling. He's been going strong for quite some time now, and watching him grow and change has a certain element of excitement to it. I know...I know, the littlest things intrigue me...

I remember when he first came to me. He was but a small sapling, with his helicopter still attached. Then, he shed the seed casing and started to grow strong and healthy and green.

Chad-o and I once discussed if this Maple Tree would end up changing colors in the fall. We had no clue, and tossed around ideas such as the un-natural warm, indoor temperature and the debate about nature vs. nurture. We decided to see what would happen.

Autumn came and went, but the leaves remained unchanged. However, recently, Mr. Maple started to boast some new, flashy foliage.

I have no answer as to the sudden color change. I will, however, hypothesize that the cold outdoor temperatures have been severe enough to permeate the glass window. Notice the 5 feet of snow outside, in the background? A bit much, isn't it?

No worries, I'll keep ya'll posted on the new and eventful happenings of my little maple dude--as they become avaliable, of course. (wink)

2 comments:

Maria said...

Love this little guy. What is his name? Glad to see he is surviving this cold. He has so many roots. Does he need a new jar.

My house is so cold, that when I take the cups and plates coming out of my cupboard, they are FREEZING!!!

Karey said...

My tree knowledgeable dad says that leaves changing color has more to do with the amount of light the leaves get than with the temperature, but that still doesn't explain why yours just changed color now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...