Saturday, December 5, 2009

This, That and Finishing Touches

"To keep the heart unwrinkled,
to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent,
that is to triumph."

-Amos Bronson Alcott

I'm a bit under the weather. Actually, I'm trying the whole "mind over matter" routine, but so far it's only mildly working. This little germ kicked into gear on Thursday, was in full swing yesterday and has managed to completely attack my sinuses today.

More than anything I want to close my tired, burning eyes, climb under a fuzzy blanket and drift off while Little Peep snoozes on my feet. But, alas, I continue to forge ahead, refusing to give into the rest my body so desperately craves. I have an ulterior motive here. Honestly. I do.

My plan-- and there does exist some method to my madness-- is to tackle odds and ends until my body can take no more. Then, I shall give in, collapse, and sleep ultra soundly until whenever I darn well please. Genius, right? I thought so, too.

Therefore, today has been a busy one, full of soup making, piles of ironing, odds and ends, coughing spells, sniffles, and a bit of knitting. I had a few finishing touches to put on some of my little Christmas creations.

Then, out of thin air, an idea came to me.

Blocking! Did you ever hear of it?

Me either--really. Until recently, I was sadly unaware of how wonderfully necessary blocking is to the knitting world. Consider me born again.

I can't even begin to comprehend knitting without blocking. Blocking is a technique often used by knitters to reshape or resize a project. It generally involves using water or steam to coax a piece into the desired look or shape. Honestly, I was kinda afraid to try it. I pictured all of my hard work being ruined or disfigured. Thankfully, in my sickly state, I decided to give it a try.

Now I'm hooked. I heart blocking. Maybe this sickness has shown me some sort of light. Either that, or it has quite possibly warped my mind.

Probably the latter. (sniffle, sniffle, cough)

1 comment:

Maria said...

Not sure I understand blocking but what beautiful colors! Got to get moving on my christmas creations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...